Returns & Refunds
If you have ended up on this page because an item you bought from our Marketplace is causing you problems then we are very sorry – you will find all the answers below to help get you back on track.
If you are just checking us out before placing an order then read on – you will hopefully gain comfort from knowing that we want your Green Elephant experience to be positive and will do everything we can to make sure that happens even when things go wrong.
Green Elephant Returns and Refunds Policy
We established this Returns and Refunds Policy to ensure things run smoothly and consistently. When you make a claim we ensure you are treated fairly, replied to promptly and once your claim is validated we make the payment back to your card, or issue a Gift Voucher as appropriate, within 14 days but usually much sooner.
All products listed on our Marketplace are covered by our Returns and Refunds Policy, giving you peace of mind when ordering.
Whilst the Consumer Guarantees Act provides the basis for our returns policy, we go further than this statutory law by also offering you a 30 day “No Worries” Return.
This Policy affects you differently for the two types of return – faulty, damaged or incorrect goods returns which are covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act and our “No Worries” Return which is in addition to your rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act.
1. Faulty, Damaged or Incorrect Goods Returns
The Consumer Guarantees Act sets out minimum standards for goods sold on our marketplace.
If you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason you should contact Green Elephant to raise your concerns and we will do our best to remedy the situation to your satisfaction.
Our Vendors have rigorous quality standards but there is always the possibility that a product is delivered with a fault or develops a fault later on.
Under the Consumer Guarantees Act in the event that goods sold are deficient or are faulty, the seller has the right to repair, replace or refund the product. Follow the procedure below to return the product for inspection.
Our Vendors package their products carefully and send them using an appropriate delivery method, so, you can expect your order to arrive in perfect condition. Very occasionally a parcel may get squashed and the contents inside suffer some damage.
If you suspect your product has been damaged during delivery please do not throw away the parcel or cover in which the product came as the courier may need to inspect it. Follow the procedure below to organise a replacement product.
If you have received the wrong product, we apologise for the inconvenience. You are more than welcome to an exchange or refund – contact Green Elephant to discuss your situation. We will happily organise an exchange once the incorrect item has been returned in a resaleable condition.
HOW TO MAKE A RETURN
1. Contact Green Elephant to let us know that you wish to return or exchange a product. The best way to do this is to sign into your account and click the appropriate return request button found in the order detail. This will send a message linked to your order that we will respond to as soon as possible.
If you do not have an account follow the link to your order in the confirmation email sent to you. Alternatively, if you would rather email or speak to someone directly, you may contact us here.
2. We will send you clear instructions explaining what to do including how to return the product. Follow these instructions to package the item and send it back within 14 days. For valuable items we recommend you use a signed-for delivery service with proof of postage.
3. For a valid claim under this section Vendors will either send out a replacement product, repair yours at no expense or offer a full refund. In addition we will pay reasonable return postage costs.
4. Where your return results in a refund rather than product replacement your total refund will be the cost of the original product purchased together with any associated postage plus reasonable return postage costs. We will make the refund to your original card, or re-issue Gift Vouchers, no more than 14 days after your return is finalised.
2. “No Worries” Returns
We understand that when shopping online sometimes the product that arrives isn’t quite what you expected – it might be the size or the colour or something else. We don’t want you to worry about this when shopping at greenelephant.co.nz, so, we have our “No Worries” Return Policy.
In addition to your statutory rights, for most products, you have 30 days from the day on which you receive the goods to notify us if you want to return or exchange an item for any reason. Goods to be returned or exchanged must be received in an unused resaleable condition with packaging intact and all labels, instructions, etc returned with the item. This applies to all “returnable” goods – there’s a guide below to help you understand what type of products are generally non-returnable.
What you can’t send back under a “No Worries” Return
Unfortunately, some items are non-returnable:
- Perishable or living products (like food or plants).
- Specials or sale items.
- Any product that due to copyright laws means it cannot be returned.
- Any product that due to hygiene issues would be inappropriate to return (this could include items such
as earrings or any product sold with a hygiene seal like cosmetics, perfumes or underwear).
- Anything that’s specially made to order for you or customised.
To avoid disappointment, please notify us of any intended return within the 30 day time limit and check whether an item is returnable as a “No Worries” Return before ordering. This information will be clearly stated as part of the product listing on the Delivery and Returns tab.
NOTE: These products are still guaranteed under the Consumer Guarantees Act.
HOW TO MAKE A “NO WORRIES” RETURN
1. Contact Green Elephant to let us know that you wish to return or exchange a product. The best way to do this is to sign into your account and click the appropriate return request button found in the order detail. This will send us a message linked to your order that we will respond to as soon as possible.
If you do not have an account follow the link to your order in the confirmation email sent to you. Alternatively, if you would rather email or speak to someone, you may contact us here.
2. We will send you clear instructions explaining what to do including how to return the product. Follow these instructions to package the item and send it back within 14 days. For valuable items we recommend you use a signed-for delivery service with proof of postage. Please note that you will have to pay the cost of returning the product.
3. Once the item is received in acceptable condition we will process the return. You should expect your return value to be the price you paid for the product excluding the original cost of delivery which you will be expected to bear.
4. You will be issued an electronic gift voucher to the value of the return no more than 14 days after your return is finalised. These vouchers are valid for 12 months and can be used to buy any product listed on the Marketplace. Vouchers cannot be exchanged for cash and will not be generated for amounts less than $5.00.
Please do not destroy or throw away any product, even if it’s faulty, before you have contacted Green Elephant and agreed that doing so won’t affect any refund you may be entitled to.
Please note that you are liable for any loss in value of the product resulting from the handling of the product in any way while you are responsible for it (this includes, in the context of a return, when the product is in transit back to the seller).
Where you return a product that was purchased using a gift voucher any refund due to you will be made in the form of a new gift voucher.
If you have any further questions about this Returns and Refunds Policy, please contact us.
Last amended 30 November 2017